As we get older, it’s important to stay active both physically and mentally. One of the best ways to do this is to find an activity or hobby you truly enjoy. Not only does this keep us active, but it also helps release endorphins to make us feel good and improve our quality of life.
Volunteering is one of those things that often sounds like a good idea, but many people struggle to find the time to get involved. During your retirement years, you finally have the opportunity to enjoy giving back to the community. This is a win-win situation for everyone. You get to do something that stimulates your mind and makes you feel good, and the organization benefits from your time and effort.
Other benefits of volunteering include:
- Improving social connections
- Promoting physical activity
- Provides a sense of purpose
- Bridging the generation gap
Not sure how to get started?
The first step is to find something that is meaningful or important to you. This could be anything from helping at the library to walking dogs at the shelter. Many nonprofit organizations rely solely on volunteers to function. Popular philanthropies include:
- Environmental concerns (recycling, preserving nature parks)
- Animal welfare (wildlife preservation, pet adoption, animal legislation)
- Child welfare (protective legislation, online safety)
- Educational activities (reading to children, teaching art)
- LGBTQ+ concerns (protective legislature, educating the public)
- Homelessness (providing shelter, collecting donations)
There are countless ways to donate your time and energy. Simply choose something you care about and reach out to trusted 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations or local schools, for instance. If you are an independent living resident at a life plan community, you can speak with your Life Services Director to learn more about volunteer opportunities.
Porters Neck Village is here to help seniors interested in Wilmington independent living. Reach out online or call us to schedule a visit. We would love to discuss how we can help you make your golden years the best years of your life.